jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.

I need help treating 3 1/2 month old puppies with parvo. at

Customer Question

I need help treating 3 1/2 month old puppies with parvo.
at home
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I read online regarding home treatment for parvo in puppies
to give them 1/2 teaspoon of pepto bismol to coat stomach and pedialyte - I have given this to them
it also says I need to give them pedialyte with zinc and 1 charchoal tablet crushed to get rid of the infection.l
Please let me know something as I need to go to CVS and see if I can get something to kill the infection
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
they were not vaccinated - but was told by the vet to vaccinate which was done yesterday - will this help fight it
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 2 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

Parvovirus has no real cure. All you can do is treat the symptoms as it is the symptoms that lead to dehydration and death. Some experts would recommend pepto bismol but it is related to aspirin which has been known to cause stomach issues so I would not feed this. Zinc is also toxic to dogs. Pedialyte is a good choice but if you can get some food to stay down, that works better.

Your best bet is to get a new drug tamiflu. Tamiflu is a new treatment for parvovirus but it has to be given within the first 48 hours of the symptoms appearing (loss of appetite). With this treatment given in a timely manner, I've had 100% recovery with numerous litters and puppies having parvo. For this reason, I urge you to have the puppy seen immediately and if it is indeed parvo, ask about Tamiflu and if the doctor doesn't know about it, insist they look up the information. You can read about it here:

If your dogs are already showing symptoms of parvovirus, then vaccination at this point is not going to help. It takes multiple vaccinations to trigger the immune response and even then about 7 days after vaccination before it is effective. The vets I work with would not vaccinate a sick puppy at all. Since you did have the pups seen at your vet, call them and ask for a prescription of tamiflu. It could really help prevent any pups not showing symptoms from developing symptoms and help any pup that has just started showing symptoms.

Other than that, all I can tell you is to keep the pups warm, try and tempt them with small amounts of ground chicken and keep small amounts of fluids going in. You need to find the amount the dog can consume without triggering vomiting . Some dogs will be able to hand a tablespoon of food or liquid every hour while others may only handle a teaspoon every hour. Your aim is to keep them going until the disease runs it course. Usually if a pup makes it to day 5 or so, they have a better chance of survival. If started on tamiflu within 48 hours, the chance of survival increases greatly. I have not lost a pup to parvo since I found out about Tamiflu. I start them off on it with the positive test results and their siblings. That is your best way of treating this disease.

Tamiflu can be used at home and doesn't require the extensive in house vet treatments. Those can help but are not necessary if caught early. If caught after 48 hours, it isn't effective on that particular puppy. I wish I had better news and hope your vet will give you access to tamiflu.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Since it Sunday is there anything I can get over the counter like Tamiflu
I brought one dog in and she died at the vet - we had her tested for Parvo so that is how I know. So I don't know why she did not give me something in case the others came down with it. There are 2 male and 1 female pups. They had temps of 104. I have been giving them the pedialyte but it has zinc.
I have 1 tablet of Simplicef anitbiootic that was left over from one of my other dogs.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
if there is no cure will and the pups make it - will they always be considered Parvo carriers?

The amount of zinc in pedialyte likely won't hurt but i you can find some without any extra zinc that would be better. Tamiflu has been around now for years now and I would imagine most vets know about it. Since treatment with Tamiflu allows pups to survive parvo without a lengthy vet visit, I'm sure that there are some vets that would rather hospitalize the pups and give Tamiflu.. Some vets may also choose not to give as a preventative as well. There have been times that Tamiflu was not plentiful and kept for human usage.

I keep tamiflu on hand all the time since parvovirus is easily spread from dog to dog or on the bottom of shoes, etc. Tamiflu is the antibiotic that works. Other antibiotics can be used to help prevent secondary infection but if your dog is vomiting, it will just be expelled with the vomit. The antibiotic you have is more effective for skin issues. We also can not recommend you give a medication without your vets approval. However, we can give you a link to a site that gives you appropriate dosages.

If they survive parvo whether with Tamiflu or not, it is believed they will continue to shed the virus up to a month after they appear to be well. On a good note, it is also believed they will never contract parvovirus again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
in case I can get it from vet can you give me dosage for pups approx. 20-25 lbs. Yes they are big not 3 1/2 months
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
thank you so much for your help

This is directly from this document.

Dose: 1mg/lb that dose given every 12 hours for 10 consecutive treatments...requires a (+) fecal antigen test.... There is a direct relationship between clinical response and the time treatment is started…Tamiflu should be given w/in 48 hrs of onset of clinical signs...if no response after the first dose...double to 2mg/lb for the second, third dose, etc. Specific Breeds of Dogs: Dobies, Rotties, Retrievers, Pit Bulldogs, and Alaskan sled dogs...all require at least 2mg/lb as the starting dose as these breeds respond poorly to Parvo infections...

As a preventive: Animals have been exposed, but are not currently showing any clinical signs should be given 1mg/lb once a day for 5 days...if these animals develop one or more clinical signs (vomiting/bloody diarrhea/anorexia)...treatment should be changed so that they are given 1mg/lb every 12 hr for a total of 10 treatments.

Hi again,

I'm hoping that my answer was helpful and that your pups have survived. Let me know how things are going.