Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator
3570977

My lab is dry heaving, He's constantly dry heaving, He

Customer Question

Hi, my lab is dry heaving
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What is wrong with the dog?
Customer: He's constantly dry heaving
JA: Where does the dog seem to hurt?
Customer: He doesn't seem to have any sensitive spots.
JA: OK. No obvious pain. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Camo, 6yrs
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Camo?
Customer: Started this Sat morning, hasn't been eating or drinikng
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
are you still there
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

Hello and welcome. This is just a short note to introduce myself or to request needed information for your problem. My name is ***** ***** I have been in the dog field for 25 years. I am a Therapy Dog & AKC Evaluator/trainer/ as well as an assistance/service dog trainer, specializing in behavior. It will be my pleasure to help you today. It may take a few minutes for me to type a personal response or type questions regarding your situation. Your patience is very much appreciated.

What breed of dog is this?

How old?

When did you get the dog?

What is his normal personality, is he shy, fearful, outgoing etc?

Can you take things he values away from him such as food, bones, toys, etc.?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Labrador, 6 years, got him as a puppy, fun an playful, yes we can take things way from him
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

I want to apologize, I was sending that information request to another customer. Somehow your question popped up in its place.

Dry heaving can be a sign of bloat if you see stomach bloating or there is excessive drooling and the dog is not really responsive to you. the dog will be distant and usually passes away if help is not sought immediately so I don't think you are dealing with this if it has been going on since yesterday. Bloat is an emergency.

If his actions are otherwise normal but he is not interest in food as well, then he may have an upset stomach in which case you want to fast for 24 hours then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice.

You can also give a pepcid ac for stomach upset. I will direct you to a link for dosing.

pepcid dosing http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid

IF the dog does not want to eat the chicken once fasting is done I would suggest you get a hands on exam.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the dry heaving which does produce a small amount of a white foamy substance that yesterday had a slight amount of undigested food and just a few blades of grass, today it is all white foam. possibly seems like he might be coughing and hacking, his belly rolls when he is heaving, other than that he just acts like a lab, it does however seems like it might also be something in his chest or throat or it could just be irritated from the other syptoms
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

Do you think it is a reverse sneeze? This would make it sound like the dog is choking or gagging on something, it would produce some phlegm or mucus. The episodes come on at random, last from seconds to minutes then disappear.

The only thing is that he did spit up grass which does tell me he has a stomach ache. Try the bland diet and fasting and see how it goes.

Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

here is a video of a reverse sneeze. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3L4v0W2_Sw

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i watched the video, seems possible but still unsure....this is something he has never experienced, does it typically last for more than 24 hours, also what if anything does this have to do with the eating grass and vomiting as explained before
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

Reverse sneeze happens in all dogs, and it can come on all year long , and I wanted to be sure you were not confusing that with dry heaves.

But the vomiting and grass eating are a clear indication of stomach or gastrointetinal upset and you should find him feeling better if this is just a stomach upset within 24 to 48 hours. But do try to prevent him from eating grass as this can become a blockage of the intestines

Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

I am sorry it seems something went wrong with the phone request

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
sorry we could not speak, I just want try to make sure he will be ok until we can take to vet tomorrow, we are boiling him some chicken to see if he can / will eat that,........... then keep it down....he did just have parvo and heartworm exam with lyme test back in june with his regular check up. obviously on a Sunday Emergency hospital is only other option
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

Well wait before you give him the chicken and keep an eye on his vital signs so you know if you have an emergency or not. Here is a link to take you through this. Pale, white, grayish blue gums are an emergency. If he is not getting oxygen his gums would be grayish blue.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/what-is-normal-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
We've been keeping an eye on gums. Gums are still good & pink, no doubt about it.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

that's good:)

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Doesn't seem to be feverish. Ears, wet nose, belly, paws all seem same steady temp. Just think he's drained of energy due to this interrupting his rest & not eating or drinking today. That is a concern also.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When do you suggest I try food? (chicken & rice)
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
His nose does seem to be drying a bit now.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there??
Expert:  Sally G. replied 5 months ago.

yes a bland diet of chicken and rice. But the only way to know if there is a temp is to take it rectally