Dr. Andy, Medical Director
Experience:  UC Davis graduate, emphasis in dermatology, internal medicine, pain management
14008320

He's a puppy. Has had no appetite for two days and vomited a

Customer Question

He's a puppy. Has had no appetite for two days and vomited a couple of times.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the puppy eat anything unusual?
Customer: He found a fish head (gross!!!) and was carrying it around in his mouth until I took it and disposed of it. The vomit isn't foamy or bile, so I don't think it's parvo.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Oliver. He was a stray that found his way to our house, so I don't know his breed or exact age.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Oliver?
Customer: He still has his puppy teeth, and had no collar when he got here. Could it be worms?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I am very sorry to hear how Oliver is feeling. This is a critical situation well worth a vet visit today.

For a puppy, inappetence for 2 days and vomiting is going to take a detrimental effect on his body.

Yes, worms are a consideration since he has not been dewormed. Another big concern is other intestinal parasite issues like the microscopic bugs, giardia or coccidia.

Plus, we don't know if anything may have been ingested causing a stomach or intestinal obstruction.

Definitely, he needs a vet for some supportive care and basic testing, including a stool sample test.
The vet can prescribe some good anti-vomiting medication, might recommend an x-ray of the belly, and possibly a parvo test. Parvovirus is the virus that can cause bad vomiting and/or diarrhea in puppies not fully vaccinated.

Hope that information helps

Expert:  Dr. Andy replied 4 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?