Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.

She is in renal failure not drinking, Molly 6, No she is a

Customer Question

She is in renal failure not drinking
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Molly 6
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Molly?
Customer: No she is a Bichon hast lost extreme amount of weight will eat some bout vomits and has diarrhea
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 2 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

At this point, all you can do is provide supportive care which is Pedialyte, a few teaspoons every few hours to be sure she does not dehydrate. If she will not eat, then give a dose of Nutrical every few hours to be sure she has the vitamins and nutrients she needs to get past this. This can be purchased at the pet store and the Pedialyte can be purchased at the grocery store.

It is best, ***** ***** you take her to your vet or the ER vet to check her kidney enzymes to see if she is getting worse. They may want to place her on IV's to flush her system of the waste products that are building up in her system.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I had her at the vet on Friday they gave her a water buffalo on her back. Her BUN was 90 her crea 6.0
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have all the lab work what numbers do u need to know. Are we at the end now where we need to consider euthanasia or how long will she last on her own

Those numbers are all I need for now...this is not that drastic and the subcutaneous fluids that were given Friday should be helping to flush her system of the waste products. I do not believe that Molly is at the end...she just needs more supportive care and a kidney diet once she is eating again. These readings are high for sure but not off the charts. With medication and diet, Molly should be able to get past this. Follow the recommendations I gave you and then have her rechecked on Monday. That will give you more information on what is next.