Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I have a 3yr old labrador retriever weighing 58 lbs. About

Customer Question

I have a 3yr old labrador retriever weighing 58 lbs. About 20 minutes ago he consumed two 2oz. dark chocolate (70% cacao) bars. I gave him a 25% larger than normal feeding of Purina large animal weight control, thinking that it would dilute the effects of the chocolate. I now see that vomiting and activated charcoal treatment seem to be the recommended course of action for symptomatic dogs.
The animal is acting normally, no signs of stomach upset (he usually eats grass when his stomach is upset) and is now taking a morning nap (typical behavior.)
What do you recommend I do? I don't have Ipecac or activated charcoal on hand but could see if the drug store in the next town has these items.
Thanks for your help.
Jeffrey Otto
Brooklyn CT
(###) ###-####
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 3 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
AS I indicated on P.2 of the form, I have neither H2O2 nor activated carbon. I can go to a drug store in the next town to see if they have these items or Syrup of Ipecac. By the way, isn't normal H2O2 1 or 1 1/2% concentration?

Jeffrey, chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal symptoms to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. In this case, 2 ounces of dark chocolate is not likely to be life threatening to a 58 lbs Calvin, at worst you may see mild vomiting or diarrhea. To be on the safe side you can try to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide 3%. This is what you do:

1- To induce vomiting give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.

2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.

3- If he does not vomit after 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, observe him for the next 24 hours. If he becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have him checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours), he will be fine.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I see where you wrote you don't have ipecac or activated charcoal. If you don't have hydrogen peroxide observe him as described above, not likely for 2 ounces of dark chocolate to cause any life threatening symptoms.

Please reply if you have additional questions.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
His consumption was 2 x 2oz, but I'd be surprised if that changes your recommendation. I'm not really inclined to induce vomiting, but if I decide to, would you recommend that I provide his normal feed this evening?I presume that you are not recommending an activated charcoal dosing if I induce vomiting.Thanks for your help.

Give me a few minutes to re-calculate the toxic dose.

Jeffrey, 4oz of dark chocolate puts him at 20mg/kg of theobromine; at this dose we mainly see gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea. We start getting concern at doses above 40mg/kg.

If this was my dog I would observe him, I wouldn't induce vomiting or activated charcoal.

Hi Jeffrey,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Calvin. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter