Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Veterinary Questions
Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.
1- Do you have hydrogen peroxide 3%?
Jeffrey, chocolate toxicity and symptoms are very dose dependent. Symptoms can range from gastrointestinal symptoms to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. In this case, 2 ounces of dark chocolate is not likely to be life threatening to a 58 lbs Calvin, at worst you may see mild vomiting or diarrhea. To be on the safe side you can try to induce vomiting with hydrogen peroxide 3%. This is what you do:
1- To induce vomiting give him 1 tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide orally.2- Allow him to walk for a minute and move his belly to mix stomach content with peroxide. If he does not vomit within 5-10 minutes, repeat it again. Can give a total of 3 times 5-10 minutes apart.3- If he does not vomit after 3rd dose or you do not see the chocolate in the vomit, observe him for the next 24 hours. If he becomes hyperactive, muscle tremors, changes in respiration, etc. have him checked immediately by ER veterinarian, these are symptoms that could progress to life threatening seizures or cardiac arrhythmias. If no symptoms after 24 hours (especially the first 12 hours), he will be fine.
My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.
I see where you wrote you don't have ipecac or activated charcoal. If you don't have hydrogen peroxide observe him as described above, not likely for 2 ounces of dark chocolate to cause any life threatening symptoms.
Please reply if you have additional questions.
Give me a few minutes to re-calculate the toxic dose.
Jeffrey, 4oz of dark chocolate puts him at 20mg/kg of theobromine; at this dose we mainly see gastrointestinal symptoms like vomiting or diarrhea. We start getting concern at doses above 40mg/kg.
If this was my dog I would observe him, I wouldn't induce vomiting or activated charcoal.