Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dogs eyes are get this puss over them, I thought it was

Customer Question

My dogs eyes are get this white puss over them, I thought it was his hair in his eyes but i starting think it is more he has a hard spot under his neck wondering if he has something caught in his throat. But he's a poodle, and he is 16 years old? He has had a cough for years and vet said it was a deflect in is larynx perhaps this is swollen. And I can't afford to take him to the vet now do you think there is something you could tell me to do?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 3 months ago.

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

There are a number of conditions that can cause this white discharge from Oreo's eyes. This could be that when they age, their conformation changes and this causes more pressure of the skin over his eyes. It may also be that there is irritation from hair or infection that could cause this. For now, the only thing you can do that will help is to apply a few drops of Artificial Tears, available at the pharmacy over the counter by Bausch and Lomb, every 4-6 hrs. This will flush away any irritants and bacteria that are causing Oreo this discomfort. You can also give Oreo aspirin at 5 mg per pound every 12 hrs to ease his disocmfort while the medication is working.

It would be good to have your vet examine Oreo at some point especially if this medication is not enough to help your poor old friend.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

I'm just following up on our conversation about Oreo. How is everything going?

Dr. Loretta