Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

Moke my 5 1/2 month pit was neutered on Thursday. His

Customer Question

Moke my 5 1/2 month pit bull was neutered on Thursday. His incision looks great with no drainage. I noticed this am that his scrotum is very swollen with redness on one side. We have 10mg prednisone that we give to are other dog. Could we give him a dose? He is happy and is not lethargic.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Has he been licking the scrotum?

2- How long has he had the swelling?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
We don't let him lick we have been diligent about this and he has had some swelling from the get go it seems worse today

1- To make sure I got this right, the swelling was there when you picked him up from the vet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, it sounds like there was some bleeding post surgery into the scrotum and he has develop a hematoma (a space filled with blood). This is not a life threatening emergency but he should be seen by your family veterinarian; they may need to re-open the incision to remove the hematoma. If surgery is not done it will take weeks for the body to reabsorb the hematoma. I personally prefer to take the patient back to surgery. This is not common, but, an unfortunate rare negative consequence when neutered. In response to your question, do not give him prednisone it will delay wound healing. Just keep him confine to an area and rest him; no running or exercise. Too much movement will make it worst. Finally, do not let him lick the scrotum, if he does pick up an ecollar (cone) in your local pet store to stop him from licking. Follow up with family veterinarian.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.