Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

We have a 9 week old puppy, brought home a week ago. this

Customer Question

We have a 9 week old puppy, brought home a week ago. this morning I took him outside to use the bathroom and since bringing him in, he has this dry cough, with no vomitting. Eating a little less, still playful, up to date on vaccinations through 8 weeks, just started 15 min ago
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: no
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Charlie
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Charlie?
Customer: no, he's been wonderful since coming home
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Charlie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

A dry cough could be from his inhaling something irritating (pollen, dust, dirt), or the beginning of a respiratory infection. If it is some irritant, it should stop in a little while. If it gets worse, it may be an infection.

If he is eating and drinking, I would monitor him for now. If he is still coughing tomorrow, if the cough gets worse, or if Charlie stops eating, I would have him checked out to see if he needs antibiotics.

You can give a puppy 1/4th teaspoon of Robitussin DM (no other than the DM formula) for coughing if needed.

Let me know if this is helpful and what else I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you! How is Charlie doing? Was this helpful; did I answer all your questions?