Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident
95200773

My 13 year old dog fell off the couch and then pooped while

Customer Question

My 13 year old dog fell off the couch and then pooped while laying on the floor. There was some urine on the couch so it seems, whatever happened, began while she was on the couch and not the result of a fall. Could this be a seizure and what could be causing this. She is generally in good health.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 4 months ago.

It sounds like she may have had a seizure. Is she acting normal now? Sometimes after a seizure dogs will have a period of not acting like themselves- some will be withdrawn, some will be more social and clingy, some will be aggressive. If this was her first event, you can continue to monitor her but I recommend keeping a journal and making note of any further issues or episodes. If she has another one, i recommend an appointment with your regular vet as there may be something going on with her causing this. Alternatively, you can make an appointment for an exam and basic screening blood work to rule out metabolic issues that can cause seizures such as low blood sugar, liver disease or renal disease.

There are lots of things that can cause seizures. In older pets it is more likely to be something related to inflammation of the tissues that surround the brain and spinal cord (meningitis) which in dogs is usually immune mediated or inflammatory and rarely contagious, a condition called cryptogenic epilepsy (which is older onset epilepsy for which an underlying cause cannot be identified) or cancer. Your vet can perform a basic work up and refer you to a neurologist if necessary.

Does this address your questions and concerns today?

Hi Ken,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Molly. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie