Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

She threw up some pieces of smoked pig foot yesterday and

Customer Question

She threw up some pieces of smoked pig foot yesterday and some water this morning
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: No, I gave her a smoked pig foot on Friday night, has been eating normally otherwise
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Elliot, she's 2
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Elliot?
Customer: She also started a new food on Friday, but seems to tolerating it well
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she lethargic?

2- How much does she weigh?

3- Is she eating and drinking?

4- Is it fair to say she vomited all of the pieces of the pig foot?

5- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks! She weighs about 40 pounds. It seems like she vimited all of the pieces to me. I don't think she is lethargic, but she was dragging on our walk this morning though she is playing like normal now that we've gotten home. She ate a few hours after she threw up for the first time on Saturday. She only eats once a day, but she threw up after drinking water this morning.

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, the concern with the ingestion of pig foot is that the bones could become obstructed in the gastrointestinal tract; vomiting could be an early indication of a bone being obstructed. I am going to make some recommendations below, if she continues to vomit during or after the below recommendations I would have her checked by a veterinarian for xrays as initial screening test. This is what you can try:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium. Start her on Pepcid AC (famotidine) 10mg 1/2 tablet every 12 hours for the next 2-3 days. You can buy Pepcid AC over the counter in any pharmacy.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours. Need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Keep her indoors in a cool room when fasting; no exercise.

3- After 6-8 hours offer a small amount of water. Wait half hour, if no vomiting, offer small amount of rice (50%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (50%) 4-6 times a day. Keep her on this diet for several days then wean her into her regular diet.

4- If she continues to vomit after doing the above she will need to be seen by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination and xrays. If cost is a concern look into your local ASPCA or Shelter where they often offer veterinary services at a lower cost.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.