Dr. Ellie
Dr. Ellie, Veterinarian
Experience:  emergency and critical care resident

I think my dog ate some of my lisinopril tablets

Customer Question

Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ellie replied 2 months ago.

How many pills may your dog have eaten and how much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm missing 13 pills and she weighs 9.1 lbs

What is the milligram strength of each pill? The bottle should say this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The pills are 10mg. each

At 9 lbs she weighs 4 kg and if she ate all 13 missing pills then she ate a total of 130mg which means that she got a dose of 32.5mg/kg and this puts her in the range that low blood pressure would be expected. Because of this I recommend taking her to your nearest emergency vet clinic and having them make her vomit and then they can give her activated charcoal. I also recommend leaving her there for IV fluids and overnight monitoring and blood pressure checks to make sure that she is not dropping too low. The fluids will help flush out her system the charcoal will absorb what she does not vomit up. How long ago did she get into the pills?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Mabe 45 minutes ago

How close is the nearest emergency clinic to you? The safest thing is to take her to the emergency vet and have them give her an injection. This is more reliable and will get her treatment faster because you are not waiting at home to see if the peroxide works.

If they are farther than about 30 or 45 minutes then you can give her some hydrogen peroxide before you leave to try to make her vomit, but getting her to the clinic as fast as you can is the best thing for her right now. She can have 2 teaspoons but if this does not make her vomit then she needs an injection. Do not repeat the hydrogen peroxide because it can be irritating to the esophagus and stomach.

If you are unable to take her in to the emergency vet then you can make her vomit at home and monitor her for lethargy, loss of appetite or vomiting. If she experiences any of these side effects, she needs to be seen by a veterinarian for sure.

Does this help you address your concerns tonight?

Hi Lisa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lisa Reed. How is everything going?

Dr. Ellie