Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I've found that she's eaten most of a pack of Orbit gum -

Customer Question

I've found that she's eaten most of a pack of Orbit gum - it's been probably 6 hours since I was home last and had seen a shredded bit of paper, but upon coming home discovered it was gum wrappers. She is about 37-38lbs, and from what I can tell consumed about 9 pieces of Orbit
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Her name is***** vet is closed for the weekend right now - so far no signs of lethargy, no vomiting or weakness. She is behaving normally and eating food, playful and normal
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Cora?
Customer: Um, not that I'm aware of
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 3 months ago.

The Orbit gums contain a relatively low amount of xylitol (0.006 - 0.38 grams/piece). How many pieces were in that pack, please? Hypoglycemia can arise at doses greater than 75-100 mg/kg and hepatotoxicity at greater than(###) ###-####mg/kg.

9 pieces at 0.38 grams/piece = 3.42 grams 3.42 grams/16.8 kg (37 lbs) = 0.2 grams/kg = 200 mg/kg which is enough to cause hypoglycemia within 30 minutes to 12 hours.

It would be prudent to have Cora's blood sugar checked if you have access to an on-call vet.