Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My Frenchie had a seizure about two hours ago and has been

Customer Question

My Frenchie had a seizure about two hours ago and has been running laps through the house since then. He has also been salivating heavily and resists being picked up or touched. Is this normal? How long could this behavior continue? He is on 52.5 mg of Pb twice a day, 1ml of potassium bromide once per day and 1/4 of a 250 mg of Keppra 2x day, yet still has sporadic seizures.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear your Frenchie is having challenges tonight. It sounds like he is most likely not leaving the "post ictal" or after seizure phase and it might warrant a veterinary er visit (using a towel or blanket to cover him so no one gets injured) to administer medications to control the current condition.

The veterinary clinic will likely put in an iv catheter and administer iv diazepam but also might give a drip of phenobarb or another anti seizure medication to minimize regression to seizure activity overnight.

The other possibility is this is a continuation of the seizure activity in a cluster which also should be treated but my suspicion is that he is in a post ictal phase and since he is not winding down will need therapy to stop the current behavior to allow him to rest this evening

I hope this answers your question and truly wish that this resolves swiftly. You may need to talk to your veterinarian about having diazepam on hand in the future to give rectally if this recurs again with this level of severity in hopes of treating at home

Please let me know how else I can assist you both, I am online another 15 minutes tonight

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Some people will question additional medications at home that they are currently on but this is not effective because the current medications build up with a threshold and will not have an immediate response.

I am glad you were able to view my responses. I am going to be signing off but want to ensure you have no additional questions before I go?

Good morning, I wanted to check in on your Frenchie to see if you sought out medical attention or monitored? How is he doing today? I would love an update when you are able

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman