Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian

What's the best thing to feed my dogs

Customer Question

What's the best thing to feed my dogs
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you today!

This is a great question and my recommendation is always going to be a high quality organic diet ensuring there are no by products and the first ingredient is a meat not grain. I do not advise "grain free" diets which will be higher in protein but a food that is well balanced. If you have a young dog it should be a puppy formula, a senior pet > 8 years old then a senior formula which is more digestible for the older dog.

But my priority is always a food that does not have by products, is human grade ingredients, and the primary ingredient is not grain.

I hope this helps but please let me know how else I can assist you today!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That didn't answer my question at all

Can you clarify? Are you looking for a brand? I need a little more guidance to ensure I answer the question you are seeking answers to

Otherwise I will opt out to see if anyone else can answer your question to your satisfaction

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 2 months ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry that Dr. Altman's answer was not satisfactory. What questions do you have about dog foods? Are you looking for brand names or formulas? Does your dog have a specific disease or problem that you are trying to manage nutritionally? Do you want to shop at a specific store? Do you have a specific budget you are trying to stick with?

Please let me know these answers to these questions and we can talk more about what foods are best for your dog.

Dr. Amanda

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I just want to no what's the best thing to feed my dogs, I don't mind cooking there food for them. I have been doing this but until recent They stopped eating it :( my recipe was just chicken mince turkey mince brown rice canned mackeral threw the rice and shredded zucchini and carrot. They use to love it now they don't want a bar of it. It upsets me. But now I don't no what to feed them I get them the stuff a pet store makes down the road, don't want it, we cook steak on the BBQ ofcourse they scoffed it down and than threw it back up hours later well one of them did. And I'm just wondering if there is any recipes or any preferred something that I can try that they like there very fussy those two

Thank you for the increased information. Home cooking for dogs can be tricky because they have some different dietary requirements than humans.

There aren't any really great recipes to follow because they limit the number of ingredients the dogs can have and don't promote the variety they need to meet their nutritional needs.

Have you considered a prepared canned food or dry kibble? Will your dogs not eat that? There are numerous premium brands out there that are also very flavorful and enticing to dogs. My preferred brand is Royal Canin, but Hill's and Wellness make some really nice diets as well. These are all nutritionally complete and take the guessing game out of feeding your dogs.

If you want to home cook for your dogs- here are my recommendations:

25% by weight- 1/2 part cooked organ meat (hearts, livers, kidneys, lungs, etc) and 1/2 part lean muscle meat (chicken, fish, eggs, etc). Choose different meats for each batch of food you make to ensure they are getting the micronutrients they need.

25% by weight- starch (corn meal, rice, potato, sweet potato, quinoa, oatmeal, etc). Again, choose a different ingredient for each batch

35% by weight cooked vegetables (spinach, green beans, kale, collards, carrots, tomatoes, broccoli, cauliflower, etc). Cooked is better for these as it increases the digestability of the ingredients.

15% by weight- fruit (apples, berries, etc)

1 human multivitamin

1 tsp Morton's light salt per 50# ***** weight of the dog

1 tablet Tums (calcium carbonate) per 50# ***** dog.

Another thing to consider is some dogs won't eat every meal. As long as they are maintaining their body weight, skipping some meals is acceptable. One of my dogs only eats about once every 36 hours. It is also common for dogs to go light on their food in the summer, especially if it is hot where you live.

Does this help? What other questions do you have?

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up from my question yesterday. Do you have any other questions? How else can I help?

Dr. Amanda