Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I have given him the 1/4 tsp of Pepto, he continues to have

Customer Question

I have given him the 1/4 tsp of Pepto, he continues to have lose stool and is needing to go 3-4 times an hour. I gave him Pepto around a half hour ago, how long until this will start to help him?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

Hello again!

It should start to work in a few hours. You can repeat it after 4 to 6 hours if he is still loose.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok I continue to try and get him to eat or drink as I am sure he is dehydrated and he is curled up and not wanting any of it. Is this normal?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

There are many causes of diarrhea. Some will affect the appetite, and others do not.

You can test him for dehydration by gently pinching skin over his shoulders and releasing. The skin should go back into position in less than one second. If it takes longer, he is dehydrated.

Check his gums; if he is dehdyrated or very ill, his gums would not be pink but pale.

Try to get him to take broth or ice chips or Pedialyte as well as water.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Ok if he is sleeping should I wake him up in order to do this or let him sleep?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

I would let him rest.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We are to the point where he is leaving is having to go every 15 minutes. We have fed him ice chunks along with encouraged water drinking however both have been minimal. He is not wanting to touch his food, and when he goes the amount of the loose stool is extremely minimal. Thoughts?
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Also he just threw up a large portion of what looked like food, he hasn't eaten much today and is likely the treats he ate from his morning training session
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
What was thrown up was brown in color outside of his chunks of food
Expert:  Rebecca replied 6 months ago.

Sorry I was away.

Vomiting with diarrhea worries me more. The first thing I think of is parvo virus, but since he is vaccinated, that is less likely.

He probably should see a veterinarian, for an injection to slow the vomiting, to see if he is dehydrated, and to be checked out. Are his gums still pink?