Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

Well, I have a litter of 6 Havanese puppies that are 9 weeks

Customer Question

Well, I have a litter of 6 Havanese puppies that are 9 weeks old. Vet's office found coccidia and prescribed Albon. On medication all 6 have runny stools. Is this caused by the coccidia or the cure? How long will it go on?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. I'm trying to find the right Veterinarian for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: thank you.
JA: What is the dog's name?
Customer: Here are six puppies; Tobe, Pablo, Diego, Gomez and two unnamed.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Tobe?
Customer: Each puppy weighs between 2-3.5 pounds.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your puppies have Coccidia. How long have they been taking the Albon?

My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

It is more likely that the diarrhea is caused by the Coccidia, which do cause runny and sometimes bloody stools, than the Albon. Albon is used to treat diarrhea, as well as the Coccidia parasites. You can try adding probiotics to their food, like Fortiflora or Proviable. The runny stools should resolve before you finish the full course of the Albon. If it persists, I would check another stool sample to see if there are any other parasites, and if the Coccidia are gone.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 4 months ago.

I hope you were able to see my response; I have not heard back from you. Was this helpful; can I answer any more of your questions? How are the puppies doing?