Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.

He is 6 month german shepard and has low platelets 1.102K,

Customer Question

He is 6 month german shepard and has low platelets 1.102K, Dr. has him on prednisone and doxycycline. His fever "was" 106, but now 99.9. was on IV's of fluids and antibiotics. Worried about leukemia
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: I gave him Drontal dewormer the day before he got sick
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dog has been sick, and you are worried about leukemia. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Does he have an abnormal white blood cell count, or were abnormal white blood cells seen under a microscope? What makes you concerned about leukemia.

Leukemia would be rare in such a young dog. Leukemia is cancer of the white blood cells, so you would see higher than normal white blood cells counts, and the cells could have an abnormal appearance. Sending a complete blood count, a CBC, to a lab should tell if leukemia is a concern.

Let me know if I can answer any more of your questions.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I hope you saw my response; I have not heard back from you! How is your dog doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?