Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM 15 years. Compassionate, Caring, Experienced.

He has a red rash around his groin area, and worried about

Customer Question

He has a red rash around his groin area, and worried about infection. He won't stop licking it.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: He's only 9 months old. I thought it may have been an allergic reaction to the shampoo/conditioner I used the day before the rash appeared. I'm not sure now though. It's been almost four days.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 2 months ago.

Hi this is Dr. Gabby.

If the rash showed up the day after you used the shampoo and conditioner then that is a likely culprit.

I would wash him again in an oatmeal shampoo and rinse very well.

You can buy an e-collar (cone collar) at Petsmart and that will help stop the licking as he will not be able to reach his groin with the e-collar on.

For itching you can give him benadryl by mouth. 1 mg of benadryl per each pound of dog every 12 hours. For example a 25 pound dog would take 25 mg of benadryl every 12 hours. You can use the liquid or the pill form.

Topically you can mix neosporin and hydrocortisone cream 50:50.

Apply that to the rash twice a day. It is not toxic if he licks it. But if he licks it off then it will not help.

On Monday if he is no better then he should see a vet.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Gabby