Dr. Deb
Dr. Deb, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  I have been a practicing veterinarian for over 30 years.
60411192

My 13 year old Mastiff girl has a continual nasal discharge

Customer Question

My 13 year old Mastiff girl has a continual nasal discharge from her nose, thick and white. It's usually a small amount daily, but it has increased quite a bit since yesterday. This happened several months ago also. She is on Gabapentin for foot turning under and Carprofen for arthritis. I'm thinking trying what I have here Amox-Clav (875mg tablets) and Loratadine. It got better when I did this the last time.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Jasmine. She currently weighs about 140.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Jasmine?
Customer: No heart or other problems. Her last checkup/bloodwork was about a month ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Deb replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Dr. Deb and will do my best to help you today.

I'm sorry for this concern about Jasmine.

It sounds as if she may have a sinus infection or possibly allergies or (worst case scenario) a mass in her nose.

But, if she appeared to respond to antibiotics and an antihistamine in the past when she has this problem, then she may respond again. The problem with diagnosing a chronic problem such as this is that usually advanced testing such as an MRI and/or rhinoscopy is needed to determine the underlying issue.

The dose of Loratadine that I'd use for a dog this size would be 10 mg twice daily; sedation may be seen as a side effect (which you probably already know).

The dose of Amox-Clav (aka Clavamox) for a dog this size would be 875 mg twice daily, with food to avoid stomach upset.

I hope this helps. Deb