Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have a 2week old puppy who is much smaller than her 10

Customer Question

HI Pearl
JA: What sort of animal are we talking about?
Customer: I have a 2week old puppy who is much smaller than her 10 siblings. Because of her size we thought she wasn't getting enough milk. I bottle fed her 3-4 oz and she guzzled it down. That was 30 minutes ago. Now she is shaking and whining.
JA: OK. I'm sorry to hear that. What is the puppy's name?
Customer: Ellie Mae
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Ellie Mae?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
She is very bloated, her tummy is hard
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

Ellie Mae is now colicky after guzzling down so much milk. 3-4 ounces = 90-120 mL! You're necessarily constrained to encouraging defecation by mimicking her mother's tongue with a warm, moist, rough towel rubbed from Ellie Mae's chest down to her rear. Drugs aren't appropriate for her at this age. Thankfully, the colic is usually transient and abates within a few hours as the milk passes out of her stomach and into her intestinal tract. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you for your help.
How many ounces should she be eating? And how often?

The caloric density of the replacement milks vary and so you'll need to follow the direction on the label of the particular product you have. In general, puppies should receive 105-120 kilocalories/lb of body weight of the milk divided into 6-8 feedings over a 24 hour period.

You're quite wlcome. Please continue our conversation if you wish.