Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

She has a terrible hot spot and she was around a dog that

Customer Question

She has a terrible hot spot and she was around a dog that has lupus. I was just checking to see if it's contagious
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Izzy and she's 3
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Izzy?
Customer: No
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

No, lupus is an autoimmune disease and not contagious to others. A "hot spot" (pyotraumatic dermatitis) describes an area where my patient has excoriated the skin to the point of ulceration and secondary infection usually due to an allergic dermatitis. These spots are clipped and cleaned and addressed with both topical anesthetic/steroid products and systemic steroid +/- antibiotic therapy. An Elizabethan collar ("the cone of shame") or neck brace can be helpful by preventing my patient from excoriating the skin further.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.