Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

My 16 pound terrier ate a chewed up piece of gum off the

Customer Question

Hi. My 16 pound terrier ate a chewed up piece of gum off the ground 15 minutes ago.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the terrier will be able to digest that. What is the terrier's name and age?
Customer: Eddy. 1 year, 4 months.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Eddy?
Customer: He just went for a run, so it will be hard to determine lethargy from gum or activitiy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

While unsanitary, that gum doesn't pose a risk of intoxication. We're concerned with xylitol-containing gums because ingesting enough xylitol to cause hypoglycemia and liver toxicity does occur but not from ingesting "spent" gum in which the xylitol would be mostly absent. There's no reason to induce emesis or treat in any manner. Any GI distress should be transient and not need tretment. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.