Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dogs are scratching non stop and losing there hair we had

Customer Question

my dogs are scratching non stop and losing there hair we had them to two differant vets we've changed there food too 4 health with no grains to salmon an potatoes or duck an potatoes thinking there alleralic to the food sprayed them with betagen spray gave them benadryal tablets wash them with luxury remoisturizer conditioner aloe oatbath medicated shampoo gave then fish oil tablets treated there ears and paws with vinegar water both are dogs have the same things it just started about 3 months ago we"ve had both dogs now for over 6 years an never had a problem we don"t treat are yard with no sprays or fertalizers please help us we love are dogs so much an to watch them go trough this day by day is heart breaking thank you
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry to hear your dogs are so itchy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Since both dogs are affected and have not had problem in the past, the first thing I would do is to use a good flea product such as Frontline, or Seresto collars, or Nexgard or Bravecto. I know you are probably not seeing fleas, but that does not mean it is not due to fleas! When dogs become sensitized to flea bites, it only takes 1 or 2 fleas on their body to set them off scratching, and it can be hard to see a single tiny flea on a dog. I like Frontline since it is not absorbed into the blood stream or body, and the Seresto collars are so safe that if a dog eats one, it dissolves in the stomach.

I once saw a bald cat, no hair at all, had been bald for years. When Frontline came out the owners put it on him, and all his hair grew back! It had been fleas all along and you would think you could see fleas on a totally bald cat.

So that is the first thing to try. If it is a food allergy, a grain free diet does not help usually; most food allergies are to a meat protein. It just seems unlikely that both dogs would suddenly develop a food allergy at the same time.

There is a great new prescription itch/allergy drug called Apoquel that stops about 80% of dogs with itch due to allergy, but I would try a good flea product (not an over the counter Hartz Mountain or Sergeant's ) first.

Let me know if this is helpful and what other questions I can answer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
the two vets that we took them to, combed them for fleas and looked them over and said they had no fleas.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

Even so, with two dogs suddenly itchy at the same time, in the summer, it sure can't hurt to use a safe flea product and it might help. I never saw a flea on that bald cat either; not seeing fleas does not rule out flea bite allergy/sensitivity. They are not loaded with fleas, I agree, but if they have become sensitized to flea bites, you might not see the one or two fleas that are causing the problem.

Have skin scrapings been done to look for mites?

I would do flea control (might help, won't hurt) and consider Apoquel.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I am not satisfied with the responses that i have received. Everything that you have told me we have done. I see that you offer 100% refund if not satisfied. Please refund what I have already paid for.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

I am sorry, I did not see that you had tried Apoquel, or flea products, or skin scrapings. You did not tell me that!

I can opt out and another expert can try to help, I can make more suggestions, or I can contact customer service for your refund. Let me know what you prefer.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.

You can also contact customer service yourself for a refund, by using the drop down menu.

I am surprised the Apoquel did not help; most dogs see improvement in just a few days with itching. If Apoquel did not help, and skin scrapings showed no microscopic parasites, I might next try Temaril P (combination of low dose of prednisone with an antihistamine).

I am sorry I suggested things you had tried, but you did not tell me you did use flea products and Apoquel.

Expert:  Rebecca replied 10 months ago.
Hi Tony,

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?