Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I have a small dog. I believe she may have licked a small

Customer Question

I have a small dog. I believe she may have licked a small amount crystal meth off of a carpet
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: She's behaving like she is high. She won't drink water but excessive licking her paws
Her name is Park
4 years old
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Park?
Customer: No. I think she's really high and I just need to calm her down
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago did she get this?

How much does she weigh?

What signs are you seeing specifically?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Within last 2 hours
Her 12 lbs
Behaving like she's stimulated wired can't stay still
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
She won't drink water keeps kicking paws constantly
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Oh dear,

Now I have to say that I am very concerned about this poor lass. If she has ingested crystal meth (amphetamine), then even a tiny dose could cause serious harm. Generally speaking, it only takes 0.5 milligrams per kilogram of a dog’s body weight to cause adverse signs of amphetamine poisoning. Signs generally include restlessness, agitation, hyperactivity, increased breathing and heart rate, shaking, and tremors. As well, there is also risk of neurological signs (ie tremors, seizures and collapse).

In regards ***** ***** can be done, due to the drug’s quick absorption and since she has signs, we cannot induce vomiting (else there is risk of choking or aspirating vomit into the lungs). Instead, you can consider using activated charcoal at this stage. This is available over the counter from the pharmacy (ask for the high strength version in grams, not the one for gas since you will need a lot of these) and works by binding any remaining material in the stomach. For activated charcoal, we tend to give 1-4 grams per pound every 8 hrs. This can be mixed with food to be fed or with water to syringe feed (do note that it stains, so keep it away from white carpets/clothes). This will just limit how much is absorbed and reduce the intoxication risk here.

Otherwise, we would need to focus on supportive care. Ideally, it would be best to have her hospitalised at the vets. The vet does have client confidentiality and will only be interested in helping and not in getting anyone in trouble. In regards ***** ***** they can do, a veterinarian can give acepromazine or chlorpromazine to counteract the effects. Also, a vet can give cyproheptadine (Periactin) to further block the drugs effects. Otherwise our only options at home is to try to reduce stimulation to reduce seizure risks. To do so, make sure she is somewhere quiet, dimly lit and calm. If she won't drink, you can try to gently syringe feed her fluids (ie water, lactose free milk, Pedilyte, low salt chicken broth). As well, if she will take food then offer canned since it is 35%. All of these will help flush the drug out of her system.

And while the paw licking isn't a major issue (its a security behavior she is using to soothe the stress she has from feeling odd with this), we can cover her feet with baby socks to protect them from her causing wounds or infection. Otherwise, if that is the only sign we see and can get her settled, then we can monitor. But of course any of those other signs in the next 24 hours and we'd want to have her to her vet for the above treatments to counter the drug and flush it out further to prevent any harm.

Just in case you need a local emergency vet, you can check @ http://www.vetlocator.com/ or via

http://www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.