Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.
53976849

My mini schnauzer is a not and his private part is yellowish

Customer Question

My mini schnauzer is a not and his private part is yellowish color and appears to be swollen he keeps liking it do you know what this could be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman an happy to assist you both today!

I am sorry to hear Bentley is licking so much. Can you please answer a few more questions for me this evening:

- Is he neutered
- Is he licking his scrotum or his prepuce where his penis is
- Is his penis exposed
- Is he urinating normally

Thank you, ***** ***** online another 20 minutes tonight to assist you both

If this is the scrotum I can give you recommendations to minimize infection and reduce healing time but with the discoloration you noted I am concerned there is an infection and this will require medical intervention.

1.) No licking! If this area is reachable then please put a cone on to prevent her from reaching the area. Licking introduces oral bacteria to the area and can increase risk of inflammation and infection. You can purchase this at your local pet store

2.) Benadryl 1 mg/ pound every 8 hours to minimize itch, may cause mild sedation

3.) Use ivory soap and water or dog oatmeal shampoo to the area twice daily with ten minute contact time before rinsing and tap dry then apply an ice pack to the area to help numb and provide relief

4.) I prefer to not apply salves or ointments because it traps in moisture to the area and reduces healing or delays healing time. If needed you can put a very thin layer of a a cortisone cream on the area after cleaning but please wipe off after 10 minutes to reduce chances of oral ingestion

5.) Remove any scabbing that occurs with healing. Again it also traps in moisture and then can actually abscess

6.) Limit activity. The more activity the more likely this wound will take longer to heal because the skin cannot heal in an active setting, particularly on the groin.

If the penis is exposed this is more of an emergency situation. Below is a link to information on this condition in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/paraphimosis-and-phimosis-in-dogs

Recommendations include:

- Again no licking! Licking introduces oral bacteria and can result in a urinary tract infection
- Using KY jelly or vaseline to lubricate the penis and attempt putting it back into the sheath or prepuce
- If this is successful, pinching the foreskin over the penis for a few moments to ensure it doesn't recur
- If not successful and the penis is swollen you can use granulated sugar to draw out the moisture then retry the lubrication in hopes of retracting the penis

If this continues I would advise a veterinary exam so they can help return the penis to the sheath. If left exposed and not maintain a moist environment it can lead to necrosis or dying of the exposed tissue and in severe cases amputation.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope this resolves soon...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier, how did Bentley do overnight? I would love an update when you are able

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!

Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 3 months ago.
Hi Terressa,

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bentley. How is everything going?

Dr. Altman