Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My 9 year old male lab has not eaten his dry food for 2 days

Customer Question

My 9 year old male lab has not eaten his dry food for 2 days or his treats sleeping a lot whichhedid a lot before but just not acting right. he loves his food & treats.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 8 months ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

I am a small animal vet with many years experience with dogs and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
I will wait for your response. has not eaten his treats as well

No problem, just typing out your answer now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again

Sorry to hear your Lab is feeling unwell, however I have worked out an answer for you below ...

1. Having read your question through I have to say that what you should do just to be on the safe side is have a vet check your dog over sooner rather than later. The reason I say this is that while the symptoms you describe would not allow me or any other vet to pin this down to any one particular disease via the internet the fact that he is lethargic and ignoring his food and treats makes me think that it is possible that your dog is running a temperature and so may be in the grip of some kind of infection. This would be the commonest cause of what you are seeing although of course other diagnosis are also possible.

2. I normally like to suggest home remedies if I can do this safely but in your case I think it is not worth the risk as it could well be that prescription drugs such as antibiotics would be what is needed if he is indeed running a temperature. In the meantime until you can get your dog to a vet all you can do is to keep him comfortable and reassured and make sure he is taking fluids regularly.

3. However I should be available online for you the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate to get straight back to me if your Lab's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you we have a regular vet just thought maybe it was a simple fix so we will schedule an appointment thank you

I wish there was a simple fix I could suggest, but from your question I think it is possible that prescription drugs may be required, also given his age group being checked over by your regular vet is by far your best option.

Better safe than sorry ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Lab is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning his inappetance and lethargy ...

Please get back to me and let me know how things are going.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue. Such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?