PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

My dog is for your old terrier mix and has had dark yellow

Customer Question

My dog is for your old terrier mix and has had dark yellow urine and is refusing to drink water
JA: I'll do all I can to help. What seems to be the problem with your terrier?
Customer: Refusing to drink water and has dark colored urine
JA: Where does your terrier seem to hurt?
Customer: No but she's a very fragile dog always has been she is four years old
JA: Can you see anything that looks wrong or different?
Customer: No the only thing that is different is we had a dog passed away and a new dog come into the house all in the span of two months or so
JA: Is your terrier eating normally?
Customer: No she won't eat anything except for boiled chicken
JA: OK, abnormal eating. What is the terrier's name?
Customer: Pixie
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Pixie?
Customer: She's a very thin dog very sensitive will not go outside right now and lost control of her bowels on the couch
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Will your companion eat any foods made with boiled chicken with more fluid, such as a soup made from boiled chicken and rice?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Maybe

I would recommend trying that. To stimulate her desire to eat and drink, you can combine the chicken breast with low sodium chicken broth and rice and cook until its tender and falls apart. Make sure there's at least a mild amount of fluid in the food before feeding.

You can also try chicken-based fluidy foods like just chicken broth, chicken flavored baby food, etc.

If this continues to be a problem for her, I would recommend an exam and some blood work to be sure there's not an underlying problem that is causing her to go off of her food (except for the chicken) and not wanting to drink.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800