Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I think my Dashound may have eaten one of my januvina, Skye

Customer Question

I think my Dashound may have eaten one of my januvina
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Skye and she is 12yrs aND 4 months
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Skye?
Customer: No , she seems fine , eating and drinking water and walking around and alert
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 10 months ago.

Are you referring to sitagliptin (Januvia)? If so, this drug appears to be very well-tolerated in dogs. Transient treatment-related physical signs, some of which suggest neural toxicity, such as open-mouth breathing, salivation, white foamy emesis, ataxia, trembling, decreased activity, and/or hunched posture were observed in dogs at exposure levels approximately 23 times the clinical exposure level. Dogs administered sitagliptin orally at dosages of 2, 10 and 50 mg/kg/day, the no-observed effect level was 10 mg/kg/day (up to 6 times the human exposure based on the recommended daily adult human dose of 100 mg/day).

I wouldn't induce emesis or treat in any manner. I expect Skye to remain unaffected. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you very much for the response, I can leave panic mode now, I rate you as a excellent service

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?