Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience

Have a 13 year old lhasa apso that got sick last week.

Customer Question

Have a 13 year old lhasa apso that got sick last week. Symptoms are cough, spitting up any food or water and no energy. We immediately took her to the vet and quickly ran up $1000 in bills as they did test after test and x-rays. Came back with diagnosis of ME or megaesophagus and wanted to continue running more tests the next round was $500 to start. We brought her home. She's gone 4 days without food and very little water.
I'm not a vet but her pneumonia is obvious. I'm left watching her suffer. Advice?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) Was she placed on any medications at the vet's office?

2) Did anyone discuss the potential for feeding her upright?
3) How is she doing currently?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No meds just wanting more tests. I just called and asked for medication for pneumonia and they want us to bring her in for another x-ray. We are trying to feed her upright (water as well) she only has interest in water and quickly coughs up what she drinks. She is not improving... No energy and not eating. Just lays and sleeps. My guess is low oxygen level as well.

Megaesophagus cases can be really difficult. Often giving water alone causes more problems than giving softened foods that contain water.

I would keep pushing to have, at very least, antibiotics prescribed so that you can help combat the infection, subsequent nausea, etc.

In lieu of giving water since she's coughing it back up, try making some water mixed with gelatin and formed into cubes. This will hydrate her and work more effectively at getting the water down to the stomach instead of into her lungs.

Here are some tried and true ME recipes that people have used over the years. They may help you to get her back on track: