Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

I have an 8 year old spayed (@ 6 months) standard poodle who

Customer Question

I have an 8 year old spayed (@ 6 months) standard poodle who about 4 months ago began leaking urine while at rest. Suspecting a uti her vet put her on Clavamox. The problem consisted so the vet did a UA and blood work all came back normal. The next step was Proin. She has been on it for about 6 weeks an her condition has improved. She is taking 50mgs every 8 hours. The she is now drinking a lot of water and urinating more often. I see the side effects did not mention this. The blood work indicated she was neg for addisons and Cushing. What do you think the next step should be?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lily. Her diagnostics need to be reviewed which I'd like to do for you. Can you upload a copy of her test results to our conversation? I understand that you might not have a copy at home but her vet can give you one which you can scan into your computer and then give me the file link or you can photograph the pages and upload them by using the paperclip icon (if you can see that icon) or by using an external app such as dropbox.com/

Drinking more than usual (polydipsia) and urinating a higher volume of urine (polyuria) are danger signs for quite a few disorders. These include both hepatic and renal insufficiencies, urinary tract infection involving the kidneys, diabetes mellitus and Cushing's disease (both will also cause increased hunger (polyphagia), pyometra (infected uterus if she's unspayed), hypercalcemia (increased serum calcium level), electrolyte (sodium, potassium, chloride) imbalances, and the rarer Addison's disease, diabetes insipidus, and brain tumor involving the hypothalamus. Because many of those disorders appear to have been ruled out, I'm particularly concerned about diabetes insipidus in such a patient. This would be an important differential diagnosis if the specific gravity of her urine were quite hyposthenuric (very dilute urine).