Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My dog has a very itchy skin around the tail and under her

Customer Question

My dog has a very itchy skin around the tail and under her chin. It's not greasy but it is causing hair loss. It could be a bacterial infection but I can't see where in the infection would've started.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 4 months ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 16 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am so sorry Jipper is experiencing this. First, this could be a bacterial infection but those occur secondary to an underlying allergy, most of the time. The first thing that could cause this (this time of th year) are fleas. So, I need to be certain she is on an effective once a month preventive such as Nexgard (or Bravecto or Comfortis) tablet or a topical such as Advantage or Frontline TRITAK (NOT Frontline plus, top spot or gold or a knock-off Frontline product as we are seeing tremendous resistance in fleas to these products).

If we are sure that it can't be fleas, then the next two allergies that can cause this are atopic dermatitis (environmental allergy- such as to grasses, trees, molds, etc) or food allergy dermatitis. These are complicated allergies you really need to work through with your vet as there is not easy over-the-counter cure for this but is a life-long and complex issue.

I feel obligated to recommend if this is severe that you have her seen by your vet today or tomorrow. Prescription medication from your vet will work better than anything over-the-counter but until you can get her in to be seen here are a few hints. The beta dine scrub is certainly fine as well on a once-daily basis for particularly affected areas but provides no itch relief. If she was my patient and you couldn't have her seen now I might recommend you try:

1)Give an antihistamine such as (choose one): Benadryl (diphenhydramine) 25mg at 1 mg per 10 pounds every 12 hours OR Claritin (loratadine) OTC at 1 tab once or twice daily.

2)Bath in a good antibacterial shampoo such as Selsun Blue every 7 days. When you bathe, lather and let stand in contact with skin for 5-10 minutes before rinsing thoroughly. Do NOT get into her eyes or allow her to eat/lick this product.

3)Start on a fish oil supplement (this is anti-inflammatory over about 4-6 weeks)

I am at a point I need to know what questions you have. I hope that the information I provided has been helpful.

Please let me know if for any reason you need further clarification, have more questions, or were expecting a different type of answer.

If you received all the information you needed, then kindly submit a rating.