PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

His tail is down, and he does not seem to be his happy self

Customer Question

His tail is down, and he does not seem to be his happy self today. He is a male shih tzu 4 years old
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: His name is Julius
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Julius?
Customer: He has allergies to a variety of things and gets allergy shot once a week, he had a back problem (IVDD) but he seemed to have gotten over that
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 5 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today.

Anytime that a dog is not holding his tail in the right place and has a history of IVDD, we must suspect that there could be a link. Often a tail not being held erect can signal problems in the back. His symptoms are not indicative of any one diagnosis, but I would personally be looking toward the back for an answer. Often a dog with a single episode of IVDD will continue to have them in the future, especially if allowed to jump onto or off of surfaces like furniture and porches.

A veterinary exam would help you to determine if this is the cause and getting treatment started early may shorten the amount of time that he battles it. Failing this, I would begin kennel rest and try to minimize the stress on his back and neck as much as you can.

Let me know if I can help further.

Did my response help to answer all of the questions that you had? If questions remain, please reply and let me know how I can assist.

Before signing off today, please take the time to use the star rating system at the top of the page to leave a rating for me. Until this is done, the website will not compensate me for helping you.

If you would like to request me in the future for pet-related questions, you can do so by accessing this page: http://www.justanswer.com/pet/expert-pitrottmommy/?rpt=3800

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer

Checking in, JACustomer. How is your companion doing today?