Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 11year old lab mix is acting strange...she does not want

Customer Question

My 11year old lab mix is acting strange...she does not want to go out and she is jousting lying around...her paws are cold
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Could be a lot of things that cause lethargy. The Veterinarian will know how to help the dog. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Carly
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Carly?
Customer: Yes...she has a very large chest lipoma...it was removed once but grew back
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Unfortunately, Carly's symptoms of malaise and cold paws are nonspecific and nondiagnostic. Have any other symptoms arisen? Can you check her vital signs for me which will tell me how urgent it is that Carly see her vet?

1) Check her gum and tongue color. They should be nicely pink - not whitish (anemia) or bluish/greyish (cyanosis/hypoxia/lack of oxygen to her tissues).

2) Check her respiratory rate. She should be taking less than 30 breaths/minute while asleep or at rest.

3) Take her rectal temperature. Any body thermometer will do when placed 1.5" into her rectum for 1 minute. Normal is 100.5-102.5F. This is a two person job!

Please let me know what you find.