Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Dog ate parts of a plastic storage container and committed

Customer Question

Dog ate parts of a plastic storage container and committed some of the pieces up about 12 hours later... should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it was a Tupperware lid/plastic and vomitted pieces of it 12 hours later..
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Did the pieces vomiting look sharp? Any blood in the vomit?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Any black stool or diarrhea?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
hello?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Did you see my questions above? Can you answer those for me so I can assess your lass's situation just now?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry I did not see the above. She vomitted 3 times and hasn't since. All times with chunks of the plastic in it. Not sharpe but hard. She is eating and drinking normally, seems fine. She just popped. It was very loose but poop nonetheless.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no blood and can rub belly without any discomfort.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

No worries,

I just wanted to make sure if the site was having issues.

Now when our dogs eat things like this, we do of course need to be careful. Rigid items can become blockages or even damage the gut quite easily. Still if she hasn't any discomfort, nice pink gums, and no signs of blood in her vomit or stools, then we can try supportive care as we monitor her.

In regards ***** ***** so, we can try to tackle her nausea with an antacid. Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then that is usually a red flag that we need her vet to bypass her mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Once that has had time to absorb and she is steadier on her stomach, you can consider starting her on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. And I would note we can add fiber (ie canned pumpkin, all bran) +/- OTC cat hairball treatment to this to just coat the plastic and try to safely push it through the gut without any harm.

Overall, we need to be careful in situations of this nature but since she is only vomiting, we can try the above as we keep a close eye on her. Any of those red flag signs and we' d want a check +-/ xray at her vets. Otherwise, we can use the above to see if we can get any lingering pieces to pass out the other end without issue in the next 24-48 hours.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thank you so very much!!!
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.