Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Applied the wrong dose of flea medication about 12 hrs ago

Customer Question

applied the wrong dose of flea medication about 12 hrs ago she is going crazy licking herself and drooling she weighs 41 pounds,
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Using the wrong medication for fleas can be dangerous. You should definitely talk to the Veterinarian. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Peppermint and she is 1 yr. Brittany
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Peppermint?
Customer: no
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian. I do apologize that your question was not answered before now, but different experts do come online at different times. Anyway, I have just come online, read about your situation and wanted to help.

Again I apologize that my colleagues weren't able to help you before. In this case, since her signs are just of skin and mouth irritation, we tend to just need to use supportive care for these cases. If she has licked it and is drooling, we'd want to flush her mouth with cool water. As well, we'd want to wash away as much of the dose from her skin as possible. We often use dish soap to break up the oils in the treatment and remove it from the coat. Otherwise, we can usually soothe the skin irritation using an OTC antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Or if she remains irritated despite this, then you can have her vet treat with steroids to soothe that transient irritation and settle this reaction for her.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond.

**Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.