Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

I noticed my dog had worm so I gave my dog the dewormer for

Customer Question

I noticed my dog had worm so I gave my dog the dewormer for a 25 pound dog. Right after for approx 3 days I did not see any worms, then all of a sudden I see them again. I was worried I gave the wrong amount so I weighted the dog and realized my dog was actually 31 pounds. can I give him another dose?
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations your dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about your dog?
Customer: He is a miniature autralian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

Can you please tell me what the medication primary ingredient is and how long ago you gave the first dose?

Thank you

One more thing: were the worms like rice or spaghetti?

I am online just another few moments...

So for tapeworms (that look like rice) this requires fenbendazole or praziquantal and typically I will treat two weeks apart to ensure we are able to resolve the worm infestation. These are often prescription medications

If these are roundworms (spaghetti-like) then the above can be effective but also pyrantel pamoate can be used and I do treat 10-14 days after initial dose to ensure we remove all worm burden

I hope this makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you. It might be tomorrow morning but I will do my best to respond asap

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!