Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian
Experience:  Practicing small animal veterinarian for 17 years.

My 7 year old french bulldog who is usually healthy and

Customer Question

my 7 year old french bulldog who is usually healthy and active has cried in pain while attempting to step up on a footstool, I gave him a 81mg baby aspirin 4 hours ago, he does not want to eat now but ate breakfast and went for a walk....he is laying down but will not put his head down, earlier he was panting but has since quit, after the baby aspirin. but since it is later in the day and was warmer earlier he just might have been warm...
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Altman replied 2 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I am so sorry to hear Moose is not feeling well. My suspicion is he injured his neck in some way and that is why he has been panting (an indicator of pain) and not lowering his head. Unfortunately this is a common issue with Frenchies and the baby aspirin likely helped with his neck to some degree but also might have upset his stomach.

Ideal is to have your veterinarian evaluate your dog to definitively diagnose the problem and start on appropriate medication to control the discomfort (less likely to upset the stomach and more effective to manage pain if this is the issue. Until you are able to do this please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the neck in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the neck to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back and neck. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.

I would also recommend a few other things with the stomach upset:
- A bland diet of white rice and lean boiled meat which will hopefully help settle the stomach
- Pepcid (famotidine) 0.25 mg/ pound every 12 hours for a few days to reduce stomach acids that increase with aspirin administration

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION at the top of your screen (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept with the stars on the top of your screen so I may be compensated for my time. If you are having any difficulties you can also state your rating (excellent, good, fair) in our chat as an alternative. Thank you!