Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My 17 week old puppy is whining but think it's more for

Customer Question

My 17 week old puppy is whining but think it's more for attention although it's out of character for him. He also has not been eating as much as normal and in turn is not having regular bowel movements. He seems restless and anxious.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Alleyne replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Is Beau up to date on his vaccines? Is he on heartworm medication?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He has all his vaccinations and was given a hearworm treatment at 8 weeks

Okay thanks for the additional information. Was his only treatment at 8 weeks, or is he currently getting heartworm preventative monthly? Has he had a fecal sample recently? Has there been any change in the environment. With his age I wonder if he is developing early signs of separation anxiety

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I was not aware he needed heart worm monthly. And no we have been in the same location for the day we got him.

Yes it is recommended that dogs stay on heartworm prevention every month starting at 8 weeks of age. What I would recommend that a medical condition is ruled out. I would recommend having a fecal test done to rule out any parasites that could be causing what you are seeing. Blood work may be considered as well if he seems worse. But once a medical issue is rule out then it may be determined that he may be developing an anxiety disorder.

If that is the case then he may need some behavioral modification techniques to help relieve some of his anxiety.