David Janssen
David Janssen,
Experience:  Veterinarian, owner at West Side Veterinary Clinic
15552883

Just trimmed my irish setters dew claw as it was beginning

Customer Question

Just trimmed my irish setters dew claw as it was beginning to catch. Unfortunately I must have bee over zealous and now she is bleeding. I made sure the area was clean, washed with warm salted water and have applied some Vaseline over the clae
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know what to do about this bleeding. I'll connect you ASAP. Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: No thanks
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  David Janssen replied 8 months ago.

Hello, and thanks for writing in.

Is the cut dewclaw still actively bleeding at this time?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
but seems to be slowing down

Thanks for your reply.

You can take some corn starch or flour, and hold some on the end of the bleeding toenail for a couple minutes to get the bleeding stopped. You may need to add a little more after putting some on the first time.

You can also use styptic powder or a styptic pencil (like the type used to stop skin bleeding in people from shaving) to put on the end of the bleeding nail to get the bleeding stopped.

I would also try to keep her activity level low for the next 1/2 hour, to keep her blood pressure low, as this will help control the bleeding also.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Dr. Dave

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
It does appear to have stopped now thanks

You're very welcome. I would still recommend keeping her quiet for a little while, to try and prevent the nail from bleeding again.

Please let me know if I can help further. Otherwise, I hope you have a great rest of the night!

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
Thank you very much, once she's in bed she is zonked. Sorry to have disturbed you x

No problem at all - that's what I'm here for - to help you out! I'm glad you asked for advice, and I'm glad she's doing well.

Dr. Dave