Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience

I have a 13 yr old pug/chihuahua/pekingese mix dog. She has

Customer Question

I have a 13 yr old pug/chihuahua/pekingese mix dog. She has a sinus infection it looks like. I have some amox/k clav 875/125 **********. could I give her some of thisome and how much.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. There are all sorts of infestations the dog can pick up. I'll have you talk to the Veterinarian who'll sort out what is wrong and help you decide what to do about it. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Lil bit. I just don't have extra money to take her in.
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lil?
Customer: She looks weak. Could I give her pedialite.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I am a Veterinary Nurse with over 15 years experience and I have assisted in the care of many pets with this particular medical concern. It would be my pleasure to assist you today. Is it possible for me to obtain some additional information from you about your companion?

1) What symptoms are you seeing?
2) Is she having any vomiting or diarrhea?
3) How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
No vomiting ,no diarrheaShe does however have a runny nose , yellowish green coming out of itCongestion
Sleeping a lot and really weakI would say between 12 and 15 pounds

If you're seeing weakness, an examination would be most ideal. Unfortunately, it looks like the medication that you're wanting to give her is going to be too much for her size.

I will opt out and see if another Expert has any ideas for you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Could I split one pill in 4 doses.
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 months ago.

I'll follow up for PitRottMommy for you. I don't see a problem administering that antibiotic unless there were a better drug to administer. To know that would entail having her see her vet, however. Dogs are dosed at 6.25 mg/lb of the total amount of drugs in your pill. How much does Lil' Bit weight, please? Pedialyte is never a bad idea. Her total daily fluid requirement approximates one ounce of fluid/pound of body weight. That's nigh impossible to give orally but every little bit helps

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
12 lbs

12 lbs x 6.25 mg/lb = 75 mg. Let's round up to 100 mg. 100 mg/1000 mg of drugs in that antibiotic = 1/10 of a tablet twice daily for a minimum of 10 consecutive days. You'd need to powder the pill on waxed paper and then divide your pile of powder into 10 equal parts. One part twice daily would be a correct dose.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok thank you very much for the information. Have a good weekend

You're quite welcome. I can't set a follow-up in this venue so please return to our conversation - even after rating - with an update at your convenience. You can bookmark this page for ease of return.