Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

Since 3am yesterdy the 3rd, my Shih Tzu, Molly has had

Customer Question

Since 3am yesterdy the 3rd, my Shih Tzu, Molly has had severe pain. She will lay down and a few seconds later run a short distance and lay down again. Also come to me for comfort. I haven't been able to figure out where yet. But her belly is harder than usual and I think it might be constipation. She usually has dry ones . very dry ones. This am she seems to be more comfortable but will still do the short run to change positions. I do think it is constipation. What could I do to help this? "She has eaten for the 2 days prev.
Also felt she had a temp last night because her eyes were red and her ears were very warm. I place a damp cold cloth on her ears and head for as long as she would let me.
Today my vet is dealing w/emergencies and was told I could take her to Cornell. right over an hour long away and I am 73 and have no idea where to go, or wait til tomorrow. Also she is 10yrs and 4 mth old.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 4 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Is she walking any different?

2- Any vomiting?

3- How long has it been since she had a bowel movement?

4- How much does she weigh?

5- Any pre existing medical conditions?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
walking same, wags tail for today looks better---no vomiting---I have 2 shih tzu's so it is impossible to tell But did find 2 of them on paper and 1 on another so my guess is she did some
12 lbs
she has had trouble w/gas problems in past
this am she did fart which I don't usually hear but did this time

1- Is she eating and drinking?

2- Can you describe the symptoms that she is showing?

3- Can you see if her gums are pink or pale?

4- Can you take her rectal temperature?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
noises usually when in distress but not this time
how much more for phone
her eyes look better today
what can I do to relieve her now or maybe just let her go
food of some sort that would help?
I have coconut oil if that might help
she is resting more calmly today, more like sleeping
my gut says she is better
that was wet food she has had

I am sorry, I can not make a live call at this moment. But, I am glad to stay with you on this thread. Or, I can opt out so another expert could help you. Please let me know.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I am leaving now, I do not expect to be charged as you have not helped at all

Friend, I was getting information from you so that I can understand better what is going on and make some suggestions. But, if you don't want to continue I understand.

Any questions about charges please contact customer service. I don't deal with charges issues.