Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.

My 15 lb Bichon / Poodle has gas and is not eating, what can

Customer Question

My 15 lb Bichon / Poodle has gas and is not eating, what can I give her to settle her stomach?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

How long has she had these signs?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Is she drinking and can she keep water down?

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly, does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Occasionally, for over a year. Doesn't last more than a few hours each time.
No (second question)
Yes she is drinking fine.
Gums are pink/red, not sticky, normally moist.
No stomach discomfort when I press.
She has not eaten anything foreign. I feed her Blue Buffalo Basics for Seniors, and once in a while some chicken wing meat only as a treat. This does not seem related to her gas problem.
No diarrhea. Normal bowl movements once per day.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
When this happens she tries to eat something green, ie a plant or grass. I understand this is a sign of her upset stomach, is that true?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you,

Now I am concerned to hear that she has this chronic issue. If her appetite loss usually appearing alongside gas, we’d suspect a colic type situation where the gas build up is distending the gut to cause her discomfort and put her off eating. This could be related to a GI microflora (the good gut bacteria) imbalance but could be a feature of a low grade inflammatory bowel issue or even lymphoma. So, we need to tread with care if she is prone to this and perhaps have her vet check her gut next time she is visiting them for a booster.

Anyway, in regards ***** ***** question, we do have a few treatment options. To start, if the gas is severe then you can treat her with OTC activated charcoal. You can start with 250-500mg daily added to her food. This is carried by most pharmacies and will bind excess gas to soothe the gut.

As well, you can also consider treating her with an antacid for lurking nausea (which is what the grass eating is a sign of). Common pet safe OTC ones we can use include Pepcid (More Info/Dose @, or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention.

Further to this, since gut microflora imbalances do alter gas production in the gut, you may wish to try her with an OTC canine specific probiotic. There are a range on the market but just to note Fortiflora tends to be a good option that we can just add right to her food.

Finally, since she is refusing food, we may find small meals of a light/easily digestible diet are of benefit with her signs. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to use the above as needed to reduce gas and soothe her stomach. If she settles we are happy. Though if she is prone to this, then again we may just need her vet to have a feel of her GI to make sure none of those other issues are lurking and triggering this.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 months ago.

Hello again,

How is everything going with your wee one?

Warm regards,

Dr. B.