jadedangel57
jadedangel57, owner
Experience:  breeder/ vet assistant.
2361900

My grandson has a golden retriever four years old. He has

Customer Question

My grandson has a golden retriever four years old. He has suffered with skin problems for quite some time.
None of the remedies seem to make any difference. I saw an article about folliculitis in dogs the symptoms
appeared to be very similar to what he has.
Can you advise me as to what you consider the appropriate treatment.
Regards,
Roy
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  jadedangel57 replied 9 months ago.

Hi JaCustomer,

My name is ***** ***** I’ve been involved professionally with dogs in the health and behavioral fields for over 18 years. It will be my pleasure to work with you today.

In order to supply you with an informed answer, it is necessary for me to collect some additional information from you. When I receive your response or reply, it will likely take me between 30-45 minutes to type up my reply if I am still online when I receive notice that you replied. I hope you can be patient.

Can you describe the skin issue?

Has skin scrappings been done?

Has allergy testing been done?

What medications have been used?

What shampoos?

Any food trials?

I was hoping for some responses but also want you to have an answer. Folliculitis is basically a skin dermatitis. Often this is secondary to another condition such as mange mites, flea infestation or allergies. Actually any condition that causes a dog to itch excessively can then damage the skin and lead to a decreased response from the skin's immune system. When the immune system is not working properly, the staph and yeast normally present in the dog in small numbers multiplies unchecked and becomes a skin dermatitis such as staph or yeast dermatitis.

. Staph usually occurs on the lower regions of your pet and tends to have small pimple type bumps. Shampoo containing Chlorhexiderm and/or Oatmeal can help with this condition. Yeast typically shows as a greasy area that has a sweet musty odor. Sometimes the skin can become inflamed, darker and thickened due to itching. Yeast likes areas such as between toes, armpits and ears. Selsun Blue Shampoo can help with Yeast dermatitis. When shampooing, lather and leave on 15 minutes before rinsing. These shampoos are not meant to be a cure, just a relief until your pet can see a Vet. Benadryl can be given to your dog, the dose is up to 2mg per pound every 8 hours for itching due to allergies.

You can read about allergies here: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet-health-information/article/animal-health/allergy-general-in-dogs/428

http://www.lbah.com/word/canine/skin-allergies/

Here is a site that goes over itching in dogs.

http://www.petplace.com/dogs/pruritus-itchiness-in-dogs/page1.aspx

Now you can treat the dermatitis but as long as the underlying condition is still present then the problem will continue or come right back. For instance, you can treat the skin dermatitis with antibiotics and shampoos and an antiinflammatory medication. The skin dermatitis might clear up, but if your dog is allergic to say wheat and is still being fed a food that contains the allergen, the skin dermatitis will just return as soon as the medication is discontinued if it even cleared up with the medication.

So it is important to have necessary tests done to rule out mange mites (skin scraping) and allergy testing if mites are not found. I'd have your son talk to his vet about these tests first.

I hope this information is helpful to you. If you would like any additional information or have more questions please don’t hesitate to press the reply to expert or continue conversation button so I can address any issues you still have . If you do find this helpful, please take this opportunity to rate my answer positively so I am compensated for my time.

Hi again,

Just checking in to see if you found my answer helpful in regards ***** ***** grandson's retriever's skin condition. Your feedback is helpful.