Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

Our 11 year and three month old pure Tri-Colour Beagle,

Customer Question

Our 11 year and three month old pure Tri-Colour Beagle, Garfunkel, who has always been healthy (his only vet visits are for regular shots, his neutering many years ago, and the removal of his anal glands when he was four years old) but he now will NOT leave my lap (very odd for him) and appears to have gone almost totally blind overnight! He does not respond to my hand waving in front of him until it almost touches his eye. His temperature is 38.6 degrees, which, from my research, is spot-on normal! When I shine a bright light into his eyes, everything appears normal. He does not have cataracts like our 12 year old Schnoodle does. He is urinating and defecating normally. He has been begging for more food in the past ten days, though. He is scared to go down the stairs, too! Please help. I hope he does not have cancer.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Garfunkel?
Customer: Not that I know of.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have to go out now. I will be back in about three hours. It's now 7:12 a.m. EST on Thursday, August 4, 2016.
Thank you.
Mitchy Hean
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, Mitchy. I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

I have to say that if you read this before you go out, you need to get him to his vet right now. Sudden blindness can be triggered by a range of issues (ie bran lesions, ocular infections, tumors, etc) but I am concerned that he may have detached his retinas due to high blood pressure. And if he has, then addressing this quickly can give us a chance of saving his sight. Otherwise, if that is rule out, then we'd need his vet to do both a full ocular and neurological examination to determine where in his sight pathway his vision is failing. If his eyes are normal, then we'd be worried that the problem is in the brain or optic nerve; which then may mean that he needs to see a neurologist for a brain scan to determine what is present and what we can do to help him.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet