Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He is shaking and hasnt ate or drank, Or used the bathroom

Customer Question

He is shaking and hasnt ate or drank
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Or used the bathroom all day
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about the dog?
Customer: His name is***** and hes any toy yorkie
JA: How old is Mr Papetio?
Customer: His last check up they said he was healthy eaverything was good About 6 or 7
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Any gagging, retching, lip licking, drooling or vomiting?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten something he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has he had any diarrhea? Any straining like he needs to urinate?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Since this morning almost 24 hours and lip licking yes his gums are pink and dry
When i press on his stomach he doesnt react but his eyes get bigger
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
As far as eating no but i xatch him eating oit the cat box sometimes
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
No hes been going to the bathrrom pretty normal
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

First, I am glad to hear that his gums are pink and he doesn't appear sore when you press on his stomach since those are often associated with urgent issues. And I'd note that if he has eaten out of the cat litter box, this certainly be causing the nausea and is triggering both his lip licking and appetite loss. Though just to note we could also see this with bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to tempt with small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset.

Or if he cannot be tempted but isn't vomiting, we can choose to syringe feed with a watered down calorie rich foods (ie puppy food, Hills AD, Royal Canin Recovery diet, Dogsure) to keep nutrition and fluids getting into him.

Since dehydration is a risk for Mr. Papetio (especially as those sticky gums are an early stage sign), we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the nausea related signs we are seeing. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down at any point, appears any more dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours; then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He does seem like his stomach is a little sore and when u pick him up he loses his breathe like a gasp
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
the vet did say he might have a swallen heart cause when he gets to excited or barks at other dogs he would start coughing or choking she gave medicine for it they are cough tabs and says to give every 4-12 hours 1/4 of a tab
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I gave hik that around 6 or 7pm
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello again,

Apologies for the delay, I had to pop away to check on my own patient.

Most cough tablets are fine to use alongside the antacid. So, you should be fine there. Otherwise, we need to keep an eye if he is uncomfortable in his belly. If that remains after the antacid, then a check with his vet is best. Though just to note, his appetite loss likely isn't related to his heart if he is breathing comfortably.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Its ok I understand and thank you for all ur help I'm taking him to the vet in about 2 hours again thank you
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

I think that is a good idea and hopefully we just nip this in the bud for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet