Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I'm pretty sure my dog a male unneautered chuwawa has a UTI

Customer Question

I'm pretty sure my dog a male unneautered chuwawa has a UTI I called the animal hospital and unfortunately I can't afford the emergency cost can what can I do to get him through the night
JA: I'm sure the feels you are doing your best. What is the matter with the?
Customer: He's having trouble urinating he's strsinging he started to do this 2 day's ago but peed some then it started again I feel now he's uncomfortable will he be ok til the am
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about the?
Customer: Can I give him something to ease his discomfort my vet opens at 8
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Now as long as your lad can pass at least some urine, this isn't an emergency. If he cannot pass any at all (a urinary blockage sign), then it is an emergency and we'd need the local ER to offer basic first aid and consider a payment plan for him (as they do have a duty of care to at least help with first aid until his vet is open). Otherwise, if he can pass a bit of urine, we can just monitor and offer fluids. The latter will help flush out bacteria and dilute the infected urine irritating the bladder wall. You can offer water but its also ok to tempt with low salt chicken broth or lactose free milk. Canned food is 35% water, so that too can get fluid sin.If you have access to Aloe Vera berry juice, this can be given a few times daily to help normalize urine pH and keep him comfortable. Otherwise, once his vet is open we'd want him seen urgently for antibiotics and dog safe pain relief (avoid human OTC pain relief options as they can cause more harm than good for our dogs).

Overall, as long as he can pass some urine, we are not in an emergency situation and can use supportive care to keep him as comfortable as we can until his local vet is open.

Kind regards,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When he goes it's dribbles and he looks like he needs to have a bm from stressing he just threw up
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

Poor lad!

Though as long as he can dribble and pass some urine (which tells us the bladder isn't overfilling), it is not an absolute emergency. So, we can closely monitor with a view to getting him to his regular vet (perhaps be there when they open) to get him seen to.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
He threw up and it was alot and clear will he be ok though til 8
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

As long as it isn't continuous, its not a major issue. Just rest his stomach and offer sips of water til his vet is open.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Ok thank u so much for easing my mind
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 4 months ago.

You are very welcome, my dear.

Take care,

Dr. B.

***Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )