Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

He threw up, is dizzy, head wobbly and keeps falling over.

Customer Question

Hi, he threw up, is dizzy, head wobbly and keeps falling over.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully it didn't make a mess. Did the dog eat anything unusual?
Customer: Not that I know of
JA: OK. The Veterinarian will know what to do. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Dodger 4 months
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Dodger?
Customer: He has his 1st set of shots taking him to get the others next week, he seems very out of it
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Falling asleep but not himself at all
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
His vomit has some small leaves in it, he wants to sleep
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he had these signs?

Do you know what plant he got these from?

Can he keep water down?

Are his gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on his belly, does he have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could he have eaten anything else he should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
For 2 hrs
Plant in the backyard he and my other dog will chew on the leaves with no problem he does not want to drink water but I have given them about 4 teaspoons and he has kept it down he's a dark dog so his gums are brown and pink and white and they are moist not sticky. He does not have any problem with me pressing on his belly I did find a chewed up plastic lid from the top of a water bottle in his vomit but the very very flimsy thin ones no access to chemicals. Well I have been waiting I have been looking at different things and he is half yorkie half ***** ***** Terrier so I was thinking maybe he could be hypoglycemic so I did give him some honey and he's a bit better but still not himself still weak
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Thank you,

Can you confirm that is a normal gum color for him?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
it is
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Good, I am glad to hear that that isn't a change for him,

Now if he has chewed this plant before without these signs, then that finding in his vomit is likely a red herring. Instead he is likely chewing it due to the nausea with this situation. With that aside, I have to say that his signs due fit with a blood sugar crash secondary to profuse vomiting but also raises concerns of toxicity or odd ingestions (the bottle cap could have started this with the low blood sugar casuing the wobbliness). As well, though less common, we can see odd wobbliness or neurological signs with some young small dogs that have underlying liver shunts. So, we need to tread with care.

Otherwise, more common causes for what we are seeing include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, and general dietary indiscretions.

With this all in mind, as long as he can keep that water down, we can try some home supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Keep up with the honey to boost his blood sugar. As well, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest the stomach for a few hours first), you can consider treating with an OTC pet safe antacid like Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid), Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac), or Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Also if you give this and he cannot keep it down due to nausea that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once he is more settled, you can plan to try small meals of a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, or scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (garlic/onion free only) There are also OTC vet diets (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) that can be used too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning slowly back to what you normally feed.

Since dehydration is a risk for young dogs like Dodger, we need to keep an eye on his hydration. To check this and make sure dehydration isn’t an issue, there are a few parameters you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure his eyes are not looking sunken and that he doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you do see any of these signs already, then that would be our cue to have him seen before this becomes an additional issue (especially since its often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the signs we are seeing. Is possible that we have a toxicity but could have a secondary hypoglycemia to the above causes. Therefore, we’d want to start supportive care to try to settle his stomach. Though if he cannot keep that or water down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24 hours (since he is so young); then we'd want to get his vet involved. They can assess his hydration, rule out fever, ensure nothing in his stomach that shouldn't be, or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, his vet can treat with injectable anti-vomiting medication, fluids, +/- antibiotics to settle his stomach and get him back feeling like himself.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. **Afterwards, I would be grateful if you would rate my service by clicking on the "Rate my Expert' button at the top of the page as this is the only way I am credited for helping you. Thank you for your feedback!: )

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I did actually give him a bit to eat probably just about 3 teaspoons of wet food he was very eager to eat that but did not want to drink his water he got up and walked over to the food and the other room and then walk back and laid in his bed. I did not want to overdo the consumption also how often should I continue with the honey and should I offer him food again.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
He's normally a very very active hyper dog and he is very listless laying down his eyes are open and he is going in and out of sleep but as soon as a noise is made he pops back up and wakes up
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

Poor lad!

If he is nauseous, he will be reluctant to eat and drink. This is why we start with the antacid before pressing them to eat. So, you would be best to treat with that, give him an hour, and then offer food. Otherwise, there is no limit to the honey and it can be used as needed for him.

Best wishes,

Dr. B.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 9 months ago.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

nekovet