Sally G.
Sally G., Dog Training Consultant
Experience:  Service/assistance dog training/ behavior /obedience/Therapy dog Evaluator/AKC Evaluator

We went on vacation without our dog and when we got back she

Customer Question

we went on vacation without our dog and when we got back she was eating funny. She wouldn't eat her dog food but she would eat cheese, steak and her chew bones. Now she isn't eating at all except for grass. She is drinking, her nose goes from wet to dry. She is acting somewhat normal.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Strange behavior is often perplexing. I'm sure the Veterinarian can help you. What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: Lucy and she is 2 1/2
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about Lucy?
Customer: not that I can think of.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for using this site to help you.

Who watched the dog for you? Where was Lucy kept?

Do you know if anything was given differently diet wise?

Does Lucy get non food items such as rawhides, bones, toys, greenies etc.?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My son stayed with her. He lives with us so it wasn't stressful for her. She was eating her greenies and cheerios, as her treat, but she isn't even eating that now. She's gotten protective of my husband and and and has started chasing our cats away.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for that information. Because she is not eating her regular food and is eating grass it is indication of stomach upset. Dogs will often eat something special even when they are not feeling well. However the thing we want to watch for is a blockage of the intestinal tract due to the greenies. These are not very digestible as the package may have you think.

Because you are not mentioning other symtoms that go along with a blockage I would at this time keep an eye on her. Watch for signs of vomiting, diarrhea or stool change and lethargy to go along with the lack of appetite. If you see this contact your Vet.

For now I would watch her and fast her for 24 hours. Then start a bland diet of boiled chicken and cooked white rice. The fasting and the bland diet should give the intestines the time it needs to settle down if this is just a virus.

I would also ask your son if anyone fed the dog anything it was not used to as this too can cause stomach upset.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I asked my son that and he said she had nothing new. She gets small greenies for her size. She weighs 45 lbs. She is playing like normal. Excited to see us when we get home. Her not eating is the only thing out of the norm for her.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

That is good that nothing abnormal was given so you may be dealing with a virus.

Even the small greenies are not digestable

Greenies (treats, dangers) pictures

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Ok. Thank you. I will fast her and try the chicken and rice. If no change by Saturday morning, I will contact our vet.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

That sounds like a good plan. It is possible she got overheated or has a virus.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Overheaded, no. Virus I don't know.
Expert:  Sally G. replied 2 months ago.

keep me informed:) I will be hoping the best and that is passes quickly:)