Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.

My dog limps after lying, I felt different parts of his

Customer Question

my dog limps after lying, I felt different parts of his joints on that leg and narrowed it down to one toe on his paw. When I touch it he pulls away, but I can't SEE anything
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. Have you looked to see if there is a wound on their foot?
Customer: I don't see anything, I sort of remember about a month ago, he was in yard and running and all at once jumped and turned and look at grass. I thought he may have been stung but it shouldn't still hurt from beesting that long, should he?
JA: What is the dog's name and age?
Customer: rocky is seven years
JA: Is there anything else the Veterinarian should be aware of about rocky?
Customer: I don't think so. he is pretty healthy other than this limp
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 2 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How long has this been going on?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Is he on any medications?

4- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It has been probably a month, but it seemed to get worse lately and only after he has been laying and then gets up to walk, and then it seems to go away after awhile. No medicines, no medical conditions. And he is a boxer/lab who ways 90 pounds

Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, I don't believe this is related to being stung by an insect after 1 month, it should be better by now. When we see a patient with a lameness after resting that improves upon walking 2 common causes are: A soft tissue (muscle, tendon or ligament) injury or arthritis. I am going to make some recommendations below, if he continues to limp the next step is a hands on examination by family veterinarian and xrays as initial screening test. This is what you can try:

1- Rest him; no running or jumping for the next 3-4 weeks even if he is not lame.

2- Start him a supplement called Cosequein (glucosamine) long term, give at label dose. You can buy Cosequin over the counter in any pet store or online.

3- Buffered Aspirin 325mg 1.5 tablets every 12 hours for 7-10 days. You can buy buffered aspirin over the counter in any pharmacy. Do not give things like ibuprofen, naproxen, etc.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?

Dr. Peter