Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

My 6 month old German Shepherd ate raw chicken liver and he

Customer Question

My 6 month old German Shepherd ate raw chic***** *****ver and he has diahhrea, for 3 days now, I gave him rice with some chicken (cooked), for two days, still runny stools.
JA: I'm sorry to hear that. The Veterinarian will know if the dog will be able to digest that. What is the dog's name?
Customer: Rex
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Veterinarian should know about Rex?
Customer: hold on someone is here
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 10 months ago.

Welcome! Thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian and I will be assisting you today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Any blood in the stool?

2- Any vomiting?

3- Is he lethargic?

4- Any other symptoms?

5- How much does he weigh?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
No blood, vomited once the day after he ate them, not lethargic at all he weighs about 65 p;ounds
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Did you get my message?

Yes, I am sorry for the delay I had some technical issues at this end. Please give me a few minutes to type your answer. Thank you.

Friend, certainly diarrhea can be caused by dietary indiscretion. Other possible causes are: Ingestion of a foreign body, infections, parasites, etc. to name a few causes. I am going to make some recommendations below, if no improvement within 24 hours the next step should be a hands on examination with family veterinarian and fecal analysis as initial screening test. This is what you can do:

1- Pepto Bismol 1 tablespoon every 8 hours for 1-2 days.

2- No food or water for 6-8 hours, need to give his gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean him back into his regular diet. Keep him indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- If after doing the above you do not see improvement within 24 hours I would have her checked by your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

My goal is to provide you with excellent service - I hope I've provided the information you were seeking, if you feel you have received anything less, please reply back as I am happy to address follow-up questions. Kindly rate me when you are done.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I already did the fasting and the chicken and rice as I stated , 2 days ago, so I gave him BM Tone up Gold from petwellbeing.com and he is doing better now.